Every month I get to choose some items from the lovely peeps at Wholeport to use and show you here on Torie Jayne...
This month I chose some pretty Birdcage Style pearl white cupcake wrappers and a white portable cupcake box with a window. I decided to make some gluten free lemon meringue cupcakes for my Mum's Birthday. Here's how...
Gluten-free Lemon meringue cupcakes (makes 12 large cupcakes)
- 4 eggs
- 230g (1 1/4 cups) gluten-free self raising flour
- 230g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon
- 6 tsp Lemon curd
- Heat oven to 180C (fan 160C)
- Line baking tray with cases
- In a food mixer, beat the butter and sugar till light and fluffy
- Slowly beat the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mix
- Fold in sifted flour then stir in lemon juice and rind
- Divide half the batter between the cases
- Place half a teaspoon of lemon curd in the centre of each batter filled case
- Divide the rest of the batter between the cases, to cover the lemon curd
- Bake for about 20 mins until cakes bounce back when lightly pressed
- Place on rack to cool
To decorate (for 12 large cupcake sized cakes) Ingredients
- 3 egg whites
- 170g caster sugar
- Edible yellow glitter
- Place egg whites and sugar in a medium heat proof bowl
- Place bowl over a pan of simmering water
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar for about 8 minutes until the mixture turns thick, glossy and stands in stiff peaks
- Remove from pan of water
- Fill piping bag fitted with a star nozzle
- Immediately pipe a swirl of meringue icing on top of the cakes and sprinkle with glitter
- Leave to set for at least half an hour
I placed my cupcakes in the box, tied the box up with a pretty yellow ribbon from Jane Means and decorated the window of the box with some yellow washi tape. I love how the box keeps the cakes securely in there place and how it makes a sweet gift for someone special...
Have a sweet day!